For real serious though, my church has been doing a series called Advent Conspiracy – this charge to Give More, Spend Less and Worship Fully. I’m going to be using all my notes from one particular service (Give More) partly so I have it to read over and over later, and partly because it really struck a chord and I want to share. Our pastor was in the middle of the sermon, explaining we are called to give more by giving things up. (John 1:14 – And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth)
The picture he painted to help the congregation grasp just what Jesus gave up and left to come to Earth I pray will always stick with me, especially during this time of year. He asked everyone to think of their happiest moment (lounging on the beach, taking in the view from a hike, etc. mine was probably when I held Bella the first time – it was surreal) so you think of your happiest moment and label it A. then think of your worst moment, the one you may hide and not share with people or the one that’s so painful you tuck it deep away and hide the key – that moment is labeled B. He said to multiply those moments by infinity and magnify it by eternity, and then you have Christmas.
Jesus left his A – the best place imaginable, heaven, where he was worshipped and it was peaceful and he sat next to his Father, for B – to be born in a stable and laid in a manger where cows had licked the troth. He left A and he came to B. He was God and He became a human being – our pastor explained it was the creator becoming the creation. for me.
Then he told a story he heard about a missionary who was leaving to go home and one of her students went missing for days, when he finally came back he presented her with a beautiful shell necklace and she knew he must have made the days-walk to the sea to get the shell. She insisted it was too much, that he shouldn't have gone so far, and she couldn’t accept it, to which this boy’s eyes shown as he explained the long walk was part of the gift. Jesus took the long walk, from A to B to become Christ. for me. for us. He left His best for my worst.
I’m not sure I’ve ever felt so loved and precious as I do when I consider this and really try to wrap my head around it. So, as Charlie Brown and simple as this may sound, my Christmas wish this year is that everyone could experience this feeling and understand and love our God for making the journey.
A better and more broad explanation of the Advent Conspiracy:






1 comment:
Hey Dana - Great post. Rick "borrowed" this from a guy he talks about alot and actually preached this at CVC a year or so ago, his name is John Alan Turner. When I first heard the analogy I was really hit by it as well. Remind me to find the podcast and burn it to CD for you, it was really awesome.
Whenever I'm finding it tough to get into the Bible or pray, I think about this kind of stuff. Jesus loved us so much he left the best and coolest place ever to come and get the crap kicked out of him. How can I not love a guy whose life flies in the face of everything this world tells us?
BTW, John Turner finished the metaphor off with Point C, the transition from A to B, which is Christmas (very witty).
Post a Comment