I had a doctor's appointment this morning and had the fine opportunity of skipping breakfast and having an orange fizzy drink instead courtesy of the lab before I had my blood drawn for a glucose test. Things went from bad to worse and having it all on a Monday morning made it that much worse...
I ought to preface everything by saying that everything is fine, Baby Girl is growing normally and other than wicked heartburn that wakes me up each and every night panicked and cranky, I'm doing fine. I ended up seeing a midwife today, which I quite prefer over our OB, and she spent a lot more time with me and never made me feel ridiculous. -and then she reminded me that when I was done in the lab getting my blood drawn I needed to come back over for some special shot since I'm one of 15% of women fortunate enough for my blood type to be negative. (the baby's blood type is very likely to be positive and it's a risk to me and a huge risk to our next pregnancy if my blood mixes with Baby Girl's blood during labor. I don't understand at all, but I generally don't.)
I got to the lab and immediately started what I can only imagine is similar to Lamaze breathing, so I can get through getting my blood drawn. I've always been afraid of needles (I still can't even get a flu shot without growing tense) but about this time last year I went through stuff and had my blood drawn so often it's quickly become one of my greatest fears. The tech asked multiple times if I was okay, explaining her reluctance to begin when my face had already lost so much of its color and she hadn't even drawn blood yet. The blood was drawn, I managed to survive, and after a refusal to lie down, went back to the OB.
The nurse comes in and she was super chill and tried to calm my fears by explaining it's just going to be a pinch, so I reluctantly followed directions, never again. I swear that woman must have finished a 100 meter sprint she jabbed that thing into my hip/stretched-mark-badonkydonk it was so hard! If you have to give it a jab to effectively give the shot, that's fine, but don't tell me it's going to be a pinch. a pinch?! I literally jumped off the table, turned and asked what the hell that was! I felt terrible... but seriously! I'm left now seriously doubting an epidural, how am I supposed to handle that? AUGH!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






3 comments:
hey dana may I miss your stories so much! I love reading what's going on because I just sit and laugh (because I can see your facial expressions in my mind as if you were telling me in person!) you're doing great love :) i'm so proud of you mommy!!
ugh, feel you once again. I too am RH-, had the shot, it was a beast...you get one more after the baby is born, lucky, lucky. The epidural however...a welcome pain almost...welcome pain because it's an end to the other pain-which trust me is brutal...but doesn't last forever:). (trying to be positive here.
Getting blood drawn has never been my cup to tea either-for some reason the nurses think they have to be super heroes when i say that people usually have a hard time reaching my vein...after the 4th or 5th try on both arms, they believe me and move on to the infant needle-always makes me feel like a real woman.
And the lovely glucose drink...they really ought to market that. delish.
Sorry for the long comment. Sorry also to hear about your grandpa. Excited about your shower though!
one more thing...my sister-in-law had some serious heartburn while she was pregnant and they gave her a prescription of Tagament...i think. Will they let you try anything?
-I've heard it means the baby has a lot of hair:).
Post a Comment