Home         About Me         The Best of Me         Our Story         30 Before 30

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

fondant fun

I truly don't think it was a subtle hint (or I'm very good at denial) but Justin's mom gave me cooking lessons for my birthday last year... we had talked about it previously how it'd be cool to take a class so I got to pick whichever one I wanted. I was looking through the list and they had some interesting ones but nothing very basic. I didn't figure a class on cooking a gourmet Mediterranian meal was something I'd be able to utilize often, so I opted on a cake decorating class. I'm not entirely sure that's what everyone was intending, but how cool it would be to make my daughter's first birthday cake and have it be kickass!

J's mom told us about this cake decorating show on Food Network called Ace of Cakes (we're both completley obsessed with it now) and even though I've no intentions of making a cake shaped like an airplane or armadillo, it only put in my head that I wanted to learn how to do the fondant and extras for a cake... we just recently took the class and it was a ridiculous amount of fun! Miriam and I had a blast, laughing together and learning (and messing up) the technique. It's the sort of thing that would be fun to do with a group of girlfriends or family as well. I would definitely do it again. Anyway, my itty bitty cake they gave me to work on is hardly impressive, but for my first time even touching fondant and getting it over the cake smoothly, plus the extras, I was pretty pleased with it. I'm looking forward to trying it again soon!

The place we took the cake decorating class is the company that makes all the birthday and special event cakes for the Cavaliers... here's one they made for one of our forwards, not bad eh? I'm sure I'll be making stuff like this in no time! right...


2 comments:

Sherry said...

That is awesome...seriously. My poor kid got a free one-year old b-day cake from King Soopers for her b-day.

Janaque said...

yeah... You've outshined this mama already!!!
I'm impressed!