Home         About Me         The Best of Me         Our Story         30 Before 30

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Sugar and Spice

We’ve been keeping a little secret for almost an entire month… not intentionally, it just sort of happened. We had our horray-you're-half-way-there ultrasound in the middle of December and found out the sex of Baby Bail! I was on the fence for awhile about finding out or not, but when it came down to it and she asked if we wanted to find out if it was a girl or a boy, Justin so adamantly wanted to know that I conceded. I was so nervous about finding out for some reason, I think because I was so sure it was a girl that I felt like I would have been a bad mother because I don’t know my own baby if we found out it was a boy. It seemed like forever that she was searching for the perfect view of baby to check for the twig and berries—finally she freezes the frame and says, “do you see these two little dots” to which Justin literally throws up a fist pump and proclaims “YEAH BALLS!” we quickly learned they were actually ovaries or some other female body part I didn’t remember from my anatomy class and Baby Bail is now officially Baby Girl Bail! Justin’s excited (and adapting and thinks he needs to purchase a gun now) and I’m thrilled because I think it will be so great to have a girl first, and I kind of picture myself as a girl’s mom. Lord help me.

My mom was on the same page as Justin and she really wanted us to find out if it was a girl or a boy. If we weren’t going to find out she so kindly offered to be the gate-keeper of the secret in case I cracked and just had to know. Since she wanted to find out so badly, and I gave her her Christmas present at the beginning of December (I made a scrapbook Christmas advent calendar so she opened it December 1st) I wrapped a little pink and white polka dot dress for under the tree so when she opened it she’d figure out it’s a girl! It was practically impossible to keep it a secret though since we found out almost two weeks before Christmas. In fact, I accidentally spilled it to my sister Andrea when we were on the phone and I referenced Baby Bail as “she”.

The best part was Christmas Eve I got this frantic phone call from one of my closest friends that she just ran into my mom at church and apparently I forgot to tell her it was a semi-secret and my mom didn’t know yet. Erin approached Mom and Christmas pleasantries were exchanged before she asked Mom how excited she must be to know the sex of the baby. After a few seconds of Mom’s confused look Erin figured out that she didn’t know yet! Apparently Mom was just staring at her blankly and finally realized that I’ve known for awhile and she was the only one in the loop that didn’t know. She looked over at my brother (who was trying not to laugh too hard) and asked if he knew. Will graciously offers that not only does he know but Andrea knows too—meanwhile Erin is still standing there feeling terrible that she let Mom know that we know. (I hope I’m telling this story well enough, I think I’ve already confused myself, haha!) So I called Mom and told her to go ahead and make her one present she opens Christmas Eve be the one from me and seconds after opening it I was basically talking to myself on the phone because she was crying. again.

Introducing: Baby Girl Bail!

she's looking straight ahead to the camera
we couldn't get a profile shot because she was so squirmy. she just wasn't having it!

her cute little hand by her head

her tiny little baby girl foot
(the other foot and shin are at the far left facing different)

the best profile shot we could manage, but it's mostly to check her spine
Justin has already nicknamed her Skelator. precious huh?!

8 comments:

Erin said...

Hooray, Dana! Congratulations! I hope I get to meet Baby Girl at some point... Given her parents she's bound to be adorable!!

Janaque said...

Congratulations!!! You're going to love having a girl!! It's so great! (not that I don't love my boy... I do, I was just so scared about having a girl! I'm just not that girly! But it's great!!! I even took her to our first mother-daughter tea!!!)
I will absolutely save the clothes from Andi!!! They're adoreable! I'll throw some extra hand-me-downs from Emme in there too, if you want! :)
Love you!
Tell Justin that Rob's in full agreement with the purchase of a gun! When I see you sometime... I'll have to tell you his plan to keep the kids from ever dating! :)

Sherry said...

Love it! Girls are SO fun. So much more fun to shop for too:). Luke was a little like Justin...a bit unsure, but he is so great with her. This is going to sound kinda gross-but when we were getting the ultrasound done for Brek-the lady goes..."do you want to know?"-we did-she said there are lips...we were like um yep, boys have lips too. She said..."not those kind of lips...it's a girl!" We are still a little creeped out to this day. Just wanted to share that with you:)

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah! Baby Girl! I am just so happy for you guys. You're both going to be incredible parents and tell Justin if he needs any gun advice to give Jon a call. I think Jon is amassing an arsenal in preparation for Devyn's dating years. =)

Anonymous said...

Congrats Mom and Dad!!

How exciting :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Dana! I'm so happy for you! I can't wait to meet this beautiful little girl. Have you named her yet? She'll have to have curly hair of course! :)

Anonymous said...

thanks friend... i'm so excited for you! And YOUR girl will definitely be the craziest one in the bunch and i'm gonna love her for it! :)

Angela said...

aww, how exciting! her tiny foot is so cute :-)