I'm entirely aware of the necessity of finding other moms in the area to network with. As it stands I'm sincerely happy with the decision I've made to stay at home with the babies but if I'm not speaking in baby-talk I'm alone in my thoughts all. day. long. Turns out I'm not entirely all that interesting and I'm bored with myself. SO I've started mommy-dating.
I kind of thought it wouldn't be all that hard to meet other moms since I'm relatively outgoing and am willing to start a conversation with a stranger even if the thought that they wouldn't like me, or will be a teacher-sweater, still makes me want to throw up. Knowing I needed to be on the prowl and meet some mamas, I took advantage of an opportunity when I was at Starbucks a couple months ago and there was a woman who commented a few times on how cute Bella and Austin are (please know you can absolutely buy my love) and she mentioned she had a son about Austin's age at home. On a closer nonchalant look I saw she was doing a bible study and my gaze drifted to her side to notice, to my delight, she had a really cute purse... this, I thought, could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
Justin and I have been together for over nine years (we dated for four years before we got married five years ago) so it's been awhile since I've been in the dating game so I was ridic nervous when, as I was leaving, I stopped by and gave her my phone number. and then I peed myself. so nervous. With good reason beause a week passed and nothing. I reminded myself it was the week before Thanksgiving - who calls a newbie in the midst of holiday fun? Then, the week after Thanksgiving my phone rang with a call from my new maybe-friend to meet for coffee and a play date at the mall. It was as awkward as a first date is supposed to be, but we did manage to have good conversation, she was really nice and by all accounts she seems to be a relatable mom. Thumbs up!
Until I never saw her again. I think it was my turn to call to initiate another play date but the days got away from me and a couple weeks after coffee it was Christmas, then New Years, then no legitimate excuse other than it had been too long and I was embarrassed and feeling sheepish for not calling. On my drive home from the gym today I saw the church she mentioned she attends so I figured that was a good enough reason for a random text to say that I think I saw where she attends since it took nearly five minutes of our conversation at coffee explaining where it was. I didn't say we should get together again, there was something about leaving the ball in the other person's court rattling around in my head. When she wrote back she was consistantly nice and equally noncommital about making plans soon... frickin ball in my court! ...I think I'm supposed to wait 24 hours before texting back. I don't want to appear over-eager and scare her off. Dating is harder than I remember!
There was one other mom I hoped had promise that I met at Gymboree Play and Learn with Bella... her hair was styled and cute, they were dressed cute - sans poms or appliqued animal shapes - and our girls naturally played together so I thought maybe something. Until I saw her put her Uggs on (not knockin' Uggs, love 'em!) but when she slipped the baby Uggs on her daughter I figured we were on the verge of snooty and I wouldn't be able to keep up. The baby Uggs were enough to keep from talking after class, the nerd alert was ringing from high school, and I figured I'd wait until after the next class to see how it went. She never came back so that pretty well settled it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






4 comments:
Oh my. I love this so much.
I have a new friend, whom I absolutely love, that just moved here. She's just cute...adorable house, cute girlies, everything, which is a bit intimidating, but eh, what the heck. We've gotten together quite a few times, and I would love to hang out more, I just didn't want to seem too eager either. This is seriously what has been going through my mind since she moved here...love her dearly, but don't want to appear "needy"...but so excited to finally have a GOOD friend here...I have quite a few friends, just not necessarily close friends...you'll have to keep us posted on how it goes. right on my wavelength sister. funny how the "girl intimidation factor" just doesn't really go away.
When Aydin was about 14 mo. old we were at a play place in Ft. Collins and I noticed there was a little girl that looked about her age playing nearby. I asked her mom all the typical mom questions and found out that this girl was born the day before Aydin. We watched the girls play and commented on milestones and when we were leaving I decided to give her my number. Jesse thought it was hilarious that I gave another woman my number, but she called and now Tessa and Aydin are "best friends" and Tessa's mom and I get along pretty well too. All that to say... yes, totally wierd at first, but so worth it.
You crack me up friend. I love how you wrote that this is like "mommy dating". I guess it really is. I'm always looking for new Mommy friends, but I totally get how you have to "click" and have a lot in common. Hey, I have an idea! Move back to CO and you'll have lots of SAHM Mom friends waiting here for you. :)
Text her back!! And then update me please. :)
* And you never know about the baby-Uggs... maybe they were a gift?? Seriously! And you and Bella and Austin are so darn cute... think about how intimidating YOU three are.
Love you. :)
Post a Comment