Home         About Me         The Best of Me         Our Story         30 Before 30

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Ms. Tollhouse

Ever since Bella's first birthday and her interest in my ridiculously sweet baking skills, I've been trying to think of things she and I could do together in the kitchen. Since her ability in the kitchen is probably already pretty equivalent to mine, I figured we'd start with some chocolate chip cookies - brace yourselves - not the break apart ones either. I'm talking old school, from scratch. I remember when I was younger I used to love helping my mom bake and my sisters and I would stand on a stool or chair to help knead the bread dough (we'd chant over and over "push roll over push roll over" and then made it a song, I'm sure it couldn't have been more annoying) or stir the cookie mix and always fight over who got to lick the spoon.

So I have these high hopes of memories and traditions Bell and I are going to start together. I quickly realized that I was probably at least five years-old in my memories, and my baby girl... is a baby girl. 18 months wasn't quite old enough to grasp what was going on and completely freaked out when I let her stand on a chair to reach the counter. The girl wasn't feeling it. at. all. lesson learned, we'll try again in a couple months... I'll stay out of the kitchen for a few months if I have to. *sigh*

All in all, it was still a good afternoon and Justin's already eaten a good amount of the batch - and it reminded me of one of my favorite Friends episodes that still makes me laugh thinking about it... so if you have three minutes of your life to waste, check it out!


such a good show, I need to get the seasons and watch them all like I have time.

4 comments:

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

I laughed and laughed and laughed. One of my favorite episodes ever.

"It things like these which is why you're burning in hell!"

Thank you! My Monday needed that!

Anne said...

After all the times I spent telling Tyler NOT to stand on furniture, it took a little convincing to assure him it was OK to do that when we were making cookies. Don't worry, she'll get there. :) Tyler always loved to dump things into the mixing bowl.

But if all else fails, just remember Nestle Tollhouse! :)

Auntie said...

I used to make Christmas roll out cookies, from scratch, and then take hours to decorate them every year with Kyle. I am so glad you realize that your childhood memories are from about age 5. Before then, they will be your memories; not Bellas but just as special!!! I have no idea if Kyle remembers, but I treasure those memories as I'm sure your Mom does of you 4 kids "helping" out.

Christine said...

Ah, Friends. I so miss that TV show. I love that episode.
I'm sure Bella will enjoy cooking/ baking with you when she's a little older. =)