Home         About Me         The Best of Me         Our Story         30 Before 30

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Breezy Bri Briana

As my baby sister was walking down the terminal she turned around and forced a brave smile to offer my mom comfort and reassurance that she would be okay as she headed into a completely unknown experience...

At least that's how I picture it happening, I wasn't actually at the airport to see Briana off to boot camp. But I can see Bri teary-eyed, but trying to mask it and be strong, torn between jumping in to this new adventure ahead of her, and also tempted to stay in the comfortable setting she's made for herself and Justin. Personally, I am ecstatic for her and the opportunity unrolling before her. -at the same time I've never been more protective of anyone in my life as I am with Briana so I don't like the idea of her being entirely on her own at all. I think it will be good for everyone though to see her accomplishments that she acquired on her own without anyone holding her hand or insisting on doing it for her.

In no way saying that she's incapable of taking care of herself--but we have selfless parents, I'm an overly-attentive sister sometimes, and she's the youngest of four, so she's been kind of enabled her entire life regardless if she wanted or needed it or not. But now I don't get to run down the person making her feel bad and give them a piece of my mind and a strong encouragement to back off, because it's going to be her Drill Sargent. If she's struggling with an assignment my mom doesn't get to hold her hand and make sure she perseveres and finishes. She's stronger than she gives herself credit for so I think it will be good for all of us to see Briana accomplish this.

There's a pretty simple breakup of the Rozum children I think: two of us are incredibly intelligent and book smart and things come easily to them, two of us are certainly smart but really have to work hard to succeed. Two of us are excellent athletes who easily focus and excel in their passions, and two of us are natural athletes as well, but have passions that lie a million different places and never had that superstar status. Bri and I are the latter two in both categories, and I think that's one of the reasons I'm so protective of her. She probably wouldn't agree, but we're kindred spirits and I feel like I understand and get her as well as I understand myself. I get the frustration, I get the excitement, I get the temptation, I get the love of life and the enjoyment in people and company, I get the self-consciousness and desire to do and be better. I get it.

I feel like I understand her reason for joining the National Guard. Even though it's going to cut at her heart to be away from her son for 14 weeks, it's worth it to set herself up for success in the future. She'll learn skills that will help her get a job and I think the confidence that will help far beyond her vocation as well.

Kiddo, I'm so proud of you for taking this step and leap of faith. I'm proud of you for taking your future into your own hands and selflessly making sure BJ will be taken care of. I could not be more proud of your decision to do this on your own and am completely thrilled for all the future has in store for you. When you find your place, I hope you'll let me join you to share in the joy and love you've built for your family. -and know that if you really need it, I really will come yell at your Drill Sargent... as long as you have the get-away car ready around the corner because I'm pretty sure they would win.

6 comments:

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Beautifully written, Dana, just beautiful! I'll be keeping her in my prayers. I can't imagine being away from my child for 14 weeks; I think that'll be the greatest struggle of all, physical or mental. You are a wonderful sister. And as the elder sisters, we protect, whether they want us to or not. =)

Sherry said...

She is so brave! This is such a great post to her. I hear you on the protection part-I'm the oldest of 4...it certainly takes over:).

Jamie said...

it's so hard to be the big sister :)

Erin said...

Dana! Please pass my congratulations on to Bri. I know how hard it must be to leave the critter, but it is awesome that she has found the courage and strength to take a difficult step...

(If only my little brother could find it in himself to do the same!) ;)

Sherry said...

I rented Waitress the other day. I honestly really really liked it...granted I didn't feel a bit uncomfortable with certain parts of it...or the main plot with the dr.--but it was really funny in such a weird way. Were you a Felicity fan? This makes me want to rent the whole series of Dawson's Creek and Felicity and watch them both straight through...then I'm brought back to reality, but it'd be really fun:)

Sherry said...

I tagged you for 12 random Christmas facts :) can't wait to hear what you have to say:)