Home         About Me         The Best of Me         Our Story         30 Before 30

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

That's the Beat of the Heart

Justin and I have been anticipating the OB appointment we had on Friday for some time because we heard we would be able to hear Baby Bail’s heartbeat for the first time. It was actually the first time Justin’s had a chance to come to an appointment with me because his schedule is so full with work and grad school, but he wasn’t going to miss this one! Anticipation with excitement quickly turned into anticipation with terror when she kept sliding the instrument all over my stomach and was unable to pick anything up… I’m over 14 weeks, there has to be a heartbeat! She could tell I was getting nervous and scared (mostly because I made absolutely no effort to hide it) and even though her assurances that Baby was probably lying low making the wavelength bounce off everything but... it fell on deaf ears and I just wanted to know it was all okay.

She wheeled in the ultrasound equipment and after a few more reassuring “I’m sure it’s all okay” she found the baby and quickly pointed out the rapid movement of its little heart. I have a baby with a heartbeat, wahoo! After I calmed down and we were watching Baby Bail move around, I was thrilled she wasn’t able to hear the heartbeat and the ultrasound was necessary because I would have hated to miss the tiny miracle we were able to observe for those few precious minutes. Our baby moves too—lots! He didn’t say it but I’m sure Justin was thinking about the races it would run someday.

As we were watching the baby I saw the coolest thing I’ve ever seen… the baby was on its back and we could barely see what will be (or already is, I’m not sure) it’s profile when it turned and was facing straight on and it’s teeny tiny hand was by its head and started moving back and forth. Our baby was waving at us!!! I’m sure it sounds crazy, but Justin saw it too and we both swear it waved. It’s like it was acknowledging it already knows it has a crazy mama who worries too quickly and was saying hello letting me know it’s okay. –that part might be a stretch, but I’m going with it.

…and now for your viewing pleasure: Baby Bail

just seven short weeks ago...(the peanut cuddling the wall is Baby)

5 comments:

Sherry said...

it was def. waving at you!!! how cool is that!! Have you decided if you are going to find out yet?

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

That is so incredibly awesome! I am so happy for you guys! Hey, if you don't find out the gender, are you at least going to share your names? Dying to know...

Malisa @ Sanity in Small Doses said...

Isn't it just so much fun seeing your baby!?! I too never minded them wheeling in the ultrasound machine. We just loved watching the blinking light that was our baby girl's heart at the first ultrasound. Thanks for sharing!!

Jacque said...

Heard from Jana about your little one's expectation!!! Am excited for you and for your mom (and dad, of course)!!! No matter how many grandbabies there are, it's so awesome to be a gramma (or Kookah in my case) and I can't imagine being any less thrilled over each and every arrival and/or expected arrival. Thanks for sharing the us pics....I have no doubt that your little one was waving to his/her mommy and daddy!!

Unknown said...

Yay!! But where are the other 2 babies? I mean, i only get the namesake if you have triplets, so bring them on!! Ha ha, just kidding (kind of...). 1 healthy baby with a heartbeat is AWESOME!! I'm so excited!! Congrats again and again! Loveyoumissyoubye ;-)