Home         About Me         The Best of Me         Our Story         30 Before 30

Monday, April 19, 2010

She's Going the Distance...

I've been meaning to write this post for a long time... I took a mandatory hiatus from working out during the pregnancy, but am now ready to very likely embarrass myself and throw myself under the bus. Now, to make a short story way too long - I ran track for 10 years from middle school through college, but I hate running. I mean hate it - abhor, loathe, despise, detest and scorn running (thank you dictionary.com!). True story: the initial reason I became a pole vaulter was to avoid a hard running workout the sprinters were doing that day. I saw the pole vaulters only had to take 14 steps before the attempt, and throwing myself over a bar 8+ feet in the air was a small price to pay to only have to take 14 steps and avoid the awful workouts.

So, with all this in mind - I'm putting it in writing, telling the world (or at least the few people reading this) and committing to run a half marathon. The ideal race that I'm striving for isn't until next February, so I have plenty of time to work up to it, is the San Blas Half Marathon - IN PUERTO RICO! haha, Justin makes fun of me since the only way to get me to commit to the crazy of 13.1 miles is to take me to Puerto Rico to do it! -plus I know it's going to be the best way to lose the baby weight and tone all the body parts that now rival cottage cheese.

My parents were planning on going to Puerto Rico in February with my grandma for this marathon anyway, so now we're going to try to crash it and actually run. My grandma goes every year to watch with her family whose house is on the race route and they all sit around, drink rum and spray all the runners with the water hose. The entire race is one giant party (1,000 runners and 250,000 spectators!) so Justin, my sister Andrea and I will hopefully be going to join the party and give them someone specifically to cheer for! Nothing's guaranteed though, because apparently it costs a few dollars to get there, but that's the goal. plus, I've already decided shirts Andrea and I will wear if it works out. Nerd Alert - that's fine.

I got started with my training today - I stretched, strapped on the iPod, panicked and then hit the road with Justin and the babies...

BEFORE:

AFTER:

yep, this should be no problem at all...

7 comments:

kails said...

WOOO!
i wish i was running in puerto rico... instead i get to do it at high altitude in the cold mountains. booo. and i'm not training at high altitude, so that should be extra fun. BUT i don't have to push a kid while running, so good on ya!
i thought you said you were running one in the fall...?

Christine said...

You're a funny girl. Sounds like a great goal, I'm sure you'll do GREAT!! Those kids of yours are adorable!

Nicoolmama said...

I love reading your blog- makes me giggle. You have one of the best senses of humor EVER!

Well- another plus is it seems to have put Austin to sleep!

Dana Marie said...

Kailey, if I said that I was just trying to impress you and was completely lying. snap. noooo, Justin's going to make me do a 10K before the fall by the end of the summer (which I think is just absurd but apparently is less than half the distance of the half, great.) maybe that's what I told you?

Sherry said...

I love it. I wish I was a runner, I'm sure I could be if I put my mind to it...I'm sure you'll be amazing in no time.

Courtney said...

Oh my gosh, you're my hero! You may just motivate me to get up and do something with my life if you can run a half marathon after two babies. Good luck training!!

Kristen said...

haha daner- you are crazy! and making me feel lazy. (which I currently am)haha maybe worse is the fact that my MOM is doing the Pittsburgh half marathon in a few weeks. seriously, i've got to find some motivation ;)